Iowa City, IA
The University of Iowa’s College of Dentistry is searching for a part-time 50% Dental Hygienist to perform educational, therapeutic, preventive and diagnostic dental hygiene procedures delegated by and under the supervision of a licensed/permitted dentist.
- Perform oral prophylaxis for patients by removing plaque, calculus, stains from exposed and unexposed surfaces of teeth by scaling and polishing..
- Perform therapeutic periodontal scaling and root planing procedures by removing plaque, calculus from the crown and root surfaces and smoothing of the root surfaces.
- Administer local anesthesia
- Apply fluoride to teeth to aid in the prevention of dental caries.
- Review and update medical and dental health histories.
- Perform oral inspection including oral cancer screening.
- Record dental and periodontal findings. .
- Make digital dental radiographs
- Record present oral conditions and extent of hygiene treatment on electronic dental chart to provide dentist with information for diagnosis and subsequent treatment when needed.
- Advise and instruct patients on proper oral hygiene procedures, proper diet for good dental health and the impact of tobacco use on oral health.
- Maintain license in Dental Hygiene,as a result maintain a knowledge of advances in the profession.
- Maintain CPR certification.
- Maintain Dental Radiography Licensure within the State of Iowa
- Maintain care of dental instruments and inventory of clinical unit
- Follow all OSHA protocols
- Maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students and the public.
- Be proficient in electronic health record systems.
- Perform other miscellaneous tasks as assigned by the dentist.
Bachelor of Science degree with an emphasis in Dental Hygiene or equivalent is required.
License to practice dental hygiene in the State of Iowa is required.
Local anesthesia permit issued by the State of Iowa is required.
Hygienists administering nitrous oxide must meet educational criteria in accordance with the rules of the Iowa Board of Dental Examiners.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Proficient working with electronic health records.
- Periodontal dental hygiene experience
- Experience educating pre-doctoral and post-doctoral dental students regarding the dental hygienist’s role in the dental healthcare team.
Salary: $29,378 to commensurate. For more information and to apply, go to: http://jobs.uiowa.edu, reference Req #70951. The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.