Literacy / HSED Instructor
Kirkwood Community College is seeking a Literacy/HSED Instructor at the Anamosa State Penitentiary (ASP) who will be responsible for teaching basic skills, literacy, and High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) subject areas (reading, writing, social studies, science, and mathematics, with an emphasis on Reading) to students enrolled in the Education Program at ASP. The instructor collaborates with fellow instructors on the development of curriculum aligned to adult education standards.
- Effectively teach basic skills, literacy and HSED subject areas to eligible offenders in a variety of instructional formats.
- Work with special education youth in order to meet the requirements of existing Individualized Education Plans.
- Maintain student and program records for reporting purposes.
- Collaborate with fellow instructors at ASP, as well as in the Department of Corrections, on the development of innovate curricula for offenders in alignment with the College and Career Readiness Standards for Adults.
- Act as a liaison among the Iowa Department of Corrections, Anamosa State Penitentiary, and Kirkwood Community College, supporting the operations of Anamosa State Penitentiary.
- Bachelor’s degree with successful teaching experience is required. In addition, candidates must pass ASP security clearance and graduate from the four week Department of Corrections Training Academy.
- A current Iowa standard teaching license or ability to earn a standard license is required.
- Candidates with prior corrections, adult education, or at-risk teaching experience are preferred. Certification in mathematics is preferred but not required.