Iowa City, IA
The University of Iowa Environmental Health and Safety Office is seeking an energetic professional with a background in the biological sciences to serve as a Biosafety Coordinator. This position will provide support to the University Biosafety Officer, Associate Biosafety Officers and Biosafety Specialist with daily tasks, implementation of the University Biosafety program and necessary duties as assigned. The Biosafety Coordinator will also serve as a member of the Safety Advisor Team whose mission is to support research laboratories by providing consultation, education, and services to ensure compliance and improve overall health and safety. The University of Iowa offers competitive salary and excellent benefits (http://hr.uiowa.edu/files/hr.uiowa.edu/files/BenefitsOverviewFacPS.pdf). See Why Iowa (https://jobs.uiowa.edu/why_ui/index.php) for more information about why UI may be the right career choice for you and why you will enjoy working and living in Iowa City.
• Bachelor's degree in the biological sciences with an emphasis on microbiology, molecular biology or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience in a laboratory environment. (Typically 6 months 1 year)
• High level proficiency processing information accurately and with attention to detail.
• Proficiency with tools, techniques and processes for gathering and reporting data. Ability to use Microsoft Office programs and mobile devices for data recording and retrieval.
• Ability to effectively transmit, receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.
• Experience with Biosafety Level 2 or higher laboratory practices.
• Practical experience (typically 1-¬2 years) with occupational or environmental health and safety issues, e.g., conducting assessments and/or audits.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Access and SharePoint.
Salary range is $36,944 $38,750.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.