Senior Web Writer & Strategist
Cedar Rapids, IA
Senior Web Writer & Strategist
As a Senior Web Writer & Strategist you'll partner with our clients to strategically plan, develop and manage their website structure and content. You'll lead small-to-large-scale content projects where you'll conduct stakeholder interviews, perform market research and review analytics to understand our clients' brand, goals and needs. Then, you'll deliver strategic solutions that meet the needs of our clients and their users. Depending on the project, this could include intuitive information architectures, detailed section structures and page outlines, user-focused website content, or copy for other print or digital marketing efforts.
You'll act as an advisor and consultant to our clients, offering recommendations that fit their needs and goals and align with best practices—so they can deliver top-quality digital and offline experiences to their current and prospective customers. You'll also use your subject matter expertise to help Geonetric's account strategists identify user experience strategy and content opportunities, as well as explain and sell strategy and content projects to current and prospective clients.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
While you might get to work on just about everything at Geonetric, you'll primarily:
• Interview client stakeholders to determine their business goals, brand strategies, target audiences, competitive market and website preferences
• Research and apply market information including user behavior, organizational information and best practices
• Use analysis, tracking, and research—including data from Google Analytics and other tools—to assess the impact of site structure and content on online goals
• Review and analyze web content inventories, perform a gap analysis and recommend revised information architecture and content mapping
• Present astute strategic recommendations around content to clients, including C-suite and board-of-directors stakeholders; support your recommendations with persuasive data and research and help clients communicate recommendations to their own internal stakeholders
• Identify strategic approaches to client initiatives and, working with client advisors and account strategists, recommend projects, including user experience strategy, content writing and digital marketing opportunities (examples: email newsletters, SEO audits, PPC campaigns, etc.)
• Create detailed site and section structure matrices with recommendations for content, linking strategies, calls-to-action, SmartPanel use (when applicable) and more for each page
• Work collaboratively with clients to answer questions and customize user experience strategy and content recommendations to fit their unique organizational challenges
When you're wearing your writer hat, you'll primarily:
• Interview subject matter experts and review marketing materials to understand the complete array of services and benefits in a particular health care service line or area and to discern the client's key differentiators and marketing messages
• Use superior writing skills to create clear, concise, compelling and accurate user- and benefit-focused web content and/or marketing and social media campaign copy
• Ensure that content deliverables align with brand messaging, research and insights; are complete, accurate and understandable; are consistent in style, quality and tone; and are optimized for search engines
• Pair with junior-level content team members to edit, explain and teach Geonetric's preferred writing style
• Provide calls to action that encourage conversion and, whenever possible, are trackable
• Develop and deliver training and educational materials related to user experience strategy, content development and website/content governance to clients and potential clients
• Support scoping for user experience strategy and content projects
• Collaborate across teams to brainstorm and deliver effective, innovative solutions to clients
• Work with clients to ensure ongoing progress in order to meet deadlines
• Stay on top of industry trends and serve as a subject matter expert for user experience strategy and content
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor's degree in Communications, Information Science, Marketing, English or related field required
• 5+ years of previous experience in related field required
• Experience with web writing, web/user experience strategy, website structure required
• Experience with content management systems and SEO techniques preferred
• Experience working in HTML and CSS preferred
• Proficiency in Google Analytics preferred
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills required
•Experience with MS Office required
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
In addition to being an amazing Senior Content Strategist & Writer, you'll need to fit into our unique culture and be:
• Self-organized. There are no managers at Geonetric. You'll be a part of a self-organizing team, with no one "supervising" you. You should naturally get a lot of high quality work done to completion without outside pressure.
• A doer. You need to be capable of identifying and resolving obstacles, using strong reasoning skills and creative thinking to get things done. You need to have a strong attention to detail, a drive for quality, and a willingness to see things through to completion.
• Flexible. You need to be able to work in an environment in which there is substantial ambiguity; things change rapidly and often, and you need to adapt to new ways of thinking.
• Self-aware. You need to be able to see yourself and your own behaviors from the perspective of others – and understand how your behaviors affect those of your peers on your self-organizing team.
• Driven to improve. You need to have a strong desire to be better tomorrow than you are today. You are constantly seeking ways to improve your own work. You're passionate about your discipline.
• A solid communicator. You need to be able to take input from many sources, think through that information, and present concise, clear recommendations to technical and non-technical people.
• Occasionally requires overnight travel to client meetings