Quality Assurance Technician
Cedar Rapids, IA
Diamond V, who is recognized throughout the animal nutrition field as an innovative, scientifically- motivated feed ingredient supplier, is seeking to hire a night shift Quality Assurance Technician located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
The QA Technician is responsible for ensuring Diamond V products adhere to Quality Assurance and Regulatory guidelines. The Technician routinely analyzes samples from throughout the manufacturing process. The QA Technician will assist in identifying corrective actions and will follow-up by monitoring new results. The QA Technician also works on special projects to support optimization of the manufacturing process, and helps to ensure quality is not affected by the changes. A background in chemistry, biology, microbiology, food science, or
biochemistry is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Include but are not limited to the following. Other duties will be assigned as needed.
• Collects raw material, in process and finished product samples and performs designated analysis to confirm that quality and safety specifications are met.
• Monitors Bioreactor samples for specified parameters and informs designated plant employees regarding adjustments to be made in the yeast growth process as a result of quality assurance tests performed.
• Performs equipment clean out inspections, and internal audits as assigned.
• Regularly communicates with Foremen, Operators and Millhands concerning production schedules, sample collection, sample results, finished product disposition and any other items necessary to ensure product quality and compliance.
• Utilizes technology to input, retrieve, analyze and generate reports on test and quality assurance data.
• Ensures applicable CofAs are sent to customer service in an on time fashion.
• Performs routine laboratory maintenance, equipment calibration and cleaning duties.
• Provides clear and concise emails to the QA team.
• Helps to maintain a clean, safe work environment.
• Night, weekend and holiday work will be required. Position will be required to provide PTO coverage for other QA Technicians.
MEASURES OF PERFORMANCE:
• Quality of results obtained from test procedures.
• Accuracy of communications to plant employees.
• Attainment of personal goals.
• Attainment of manufacturing quality goals.
• Maintenance of safe and secure laboratory environment.
• Effectiveness, efficiency and accuracy of activities.
• Generation of relevant analytical results, problem-solving ability, and soundness of decisions.
• Effective communication with manager and QA staff and working relationships with others in the company. Includes communication, cooperation and team effort.
• Demonstration of commitment to Diamond V core values.
• Other job performance criteria include; planning and organization, quality of work, productivity, initiative, relationships with others, decision-making and communication skills as outlined in the annual
employee performance appraisal.
• Ability to multi-task while maintaining attention to detail.
• Reports directly to Quality Assurance Manager.
• Regularly communicates with plant personnel regarding quality control adjustments.
• Works with other laboratory personnel on research and development projects.
Education, Experience and Skills:
• Minimum of a B.S. degree in chemistry, fermentation science, biology, microbiology, food science, biochemistry or equivalent.
• Knowledge of operating procedures for a wide variety of standard and specialized research equipment, such as HPLC, Leco, etc and the ability to troubleshoot and make minor repairs as needed.
• Knowledge of proper safety guidelines and procedures.
• Skill in performing accurate analytical procedures.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment including frequent interactions with QA staff, production, customer service, and others.
• Ability to work independently, set priorities and organize work effectively. Must be a self-starter.
• Ability to analyze problems, propose reasonable solutions, make logical decisions, carry out decisions made and follow up when appropriate.
• Ability to maintain the integrity of highly confidential business information.
Physical, Mental and Environmental Requirements:
• Uses the following lab equipment on a daily basis:
HPLC Multisizer/Z1 Coulter
Spectrophotometer Compound Microscope
Computer Computrac Moisture Analyzer
Sieve Shaker Steam Autoclave
Refractometer Analytical Balance
• Position works with chemicals that, if handled improperly, may be a health hazard.
• Position works in an environment with noise and dust. Most of the work completed during a shift is on the laboratory bench.
• Duties require close vision, distance vision, depth perception, color vision and peripheral vision.
• Duties include light physical effort, which involves exerting up to 30 pounds of force occasionally, 10 pounds of force frequently and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
• Fine finger and hand movement is required for picking, pinching, filing, grasping, reaching and feeling.
• Talking, hearing, reading, writing, and bending/stooping are regularly required.
Please apply online at www.diamondv.com/about/careers/.