Cedar Rapids, IA
Perform skilled journey-level work in the construction, maintenance and repair of electrical and electronic equipment, apparatus and fixtures used at the plant. Perform general plant maintenance duties. Provide leadership and support for apprentices.
Immediate repair to maintain production will be major focus for the Plant Electronic Technician. Must be able to work from a pre-assigned schedule and without direct supervision (will receive assignments (i.e. equipment breakdown) from Group Leaders). Will also assist on major capital projects.
Responsibilities and Essential Job Functions:
May perform a combination of the following duties based upon job assignment:
• Inspect, maintain repair and overhaul electromechanical and solid state electrical equipment, using a variety of electrical test equipment, meters, powered and non-powered tools and equipment.
• Install new electrical and electronic equipment and electrical wiring according to the National Electrical Code and company electrical standards.
• Maintain and repair electrical and electronic systems.
• Perform low voltage switching and operate generators in support of operations.
• Work safely and cooperatively with co-workers, contractors and the public.
• Lead a team in performing maintenance or repair work.
• Other related incidental work as needed.
• Comply with and practice proper equipment clearance procedures.
• Perform all work in compliance with applicable codes, standards, safety and environment regulations.
• Responsible for station lockout/tag out procedures as needed and as mandated by company policy.
• Additional responsibilities may include:
Mechanical - Repair chain, belt and gear drives, bearings.
Sheet Metal - Repair spouting, ducting, patch leaks.
Pipefitting - Repair valves, traps, fittings, (steam, air, water leaks).
Millwrights - Repair safety guarding, flooring (wood, concrete or metal), pneumatic systems, conveying systems (all types), milling equipment (rolls, aspirators, sifters, grinders etc.)
Lubrication - Grease equipment and change oil.
General - Respond to security and fire alarm systems.
Misc. rebuild gearboxes, motors, pneumatic assemblies, etc
Other duties as assigned.
• Methods, equipment and materials used in the electrical trade.
• General knowledge of health, safety and environmental regulations.
• Applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Basic First Aid procedures.
• Principles of electronic theory as applied to electrical and electronic circuits, wiring and electrical equipment used in an industrial environment.
• Theory of operation and use of Programmable Logic Control (PLC) units and other computer based equipment. Knowledge of RS Logix 5, 500, 5000 & RS Linx, Device Net, & RS View to troubleshoot equipment.
• Proficient written and verbal communication skills.
• Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
• Work from blueprints, shop drawings and sketches.
• Work independently with little direction.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
• Install, including programming, and troubleshooting PLC based equipment
This position does not have direct reports, but works closely with Lab Technician, Group Leader and provides leadership to other plant personnel using strong interpersonal relationship skills.
High School diploma or equivalent.
Completion of a recognized vocational education program in electrical or industrial electrical or industrial training OR- completion of a recognized Electrical Apprenticeship Program. Two years' journey-level experience as an electrician in the industrial maintenance field.
First Aid, CPR, AED certification required.
Forklift and scissor lift certification required.
Working knowledge of production equipment, preventative maintenance concepts, food safety practices, and employee safety requirements.
Must be able to use packaging equipment in the plant and standard office equipment including copier, scanner, mobile / handle held device, and personal computer
Requires climbing, standing, sitting, reaching, bending and lifting heavy objects in awkward and sometimes tight spaces using proper lifting and rigging techniques.
Must be able to frequently lift and or move 35 pounds; occasionally lift and move 50 lbs. Use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects including keyboards, small hardware, and reach with hands and arms.
Specific vision requirements include close, distance, color and peripheral vision and depth perception / focus abilities.
Subject to exposure to fumes, dust and vibration.
Subject to exposure to high noise levels requiring hearing protection.
Subject to working near moving parts of heavy machinery and low / mid voltage equipment where the use of appropriate protective/safety equipment is required.
May be subject to after duty call-ins.