Manager, Clinical Engineering
Cedar Rapids, IA
Manager, Clinical Engineering
This position supports Mercy's philosophy of patient centered care by providing clinical staff with equipment that is fully maintained and safe to use for patient care. This position will ensure the right quantities of the right equipment is on-site and ready for service when needed and will provide back-up plans for high-risk situations.
Job Specific Duties/Essential Functions
• Ensure the medical equipment service management programs are in compliance with local, state and federal regulations, as well as with inspecting agencies. Monitor changes in regulatory and standardization agency policies.
• Develop standardized operational policies and procedures for Clinical Engineering Program and monitor compliance
• Coordinate, collaborate and implement equipment maintenance options, such as self-insurance programs, independent service organizations, Master Service agreements, and in-house staff with stakeholders.
• Manage department budget with a focus on continuous improvement and cost containment.
• Develop and implement effective department initiated service agreements.
• Manage accurate and effective utilization of computerized maintenance management system.
• Develop and implement a plan to manage equipment and services throughout the lifecycle. Establish a 5 year maintenance plan for capital planning.
• Develop meaningful metrics for the department and report to leadership quarterly.
• Assist in resolution of vendor related problems.
• Assist with analysis of proposals and negotiation of best value for clinical engineering services and equipment.
• Provide consultative, operational, and technical support to department managers and their staff as needed.
• Support department staff ensuring proper training and test equipment is provided appropriately.
• Perform staff evaluations and subsequent coaching and development. Deliver and measure outside service savings
• Set and organize work priorities and adapt them as they change frequently.
• Coordinate closely with Facilities Management and Information Technology departments regarding equipment that overlaps these areas. Coordinate equipment selection, commissioning, repair and maintenance with these departments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Must possess outstanding cross-functional leadership skills.
• Must possess very strong management skills, with an emphasis on people development.
• Must possess excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to develop and manage supplier relationships. Must be continuously, but constructively, demanding of supplier cost and quality performance.
• Must be comfortable with conflict and willing to challenge conventional thinking at all levels of the organization.
• Must possess strong analytical skills, including ability to understand and define most critical issues and develop methodologies for collecting and analyzing relevant data [make vs. buy, Total Cost Ownership (TCO), lease vs. buy, Net Present Value (NPV), etc.
• Must possess excellent organizational and planning skills.
• Must possess ability to be a self-starter and independent worker, able to juggle priorities and manage own work.
• Must possess ability to be comfortable operating in a collaborative, shared leadership environment.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Financial management skills are required.
• Creative, innovative attitude and the willingness to listen and implement change when required.
• Qualified candidates must possess a comprehensive knowledge of Capital Asset Management and Management principles and best practices.
• Minimum seven years' experience including a minimum of two years in a management role preferred.
• Prefer experience in creating and/or maintaining IT security for all equipment software to ensure data and system integrity and safety.
Education: Bachelor's Degree preferably in Business Administration or related field required. Clinical Engineering experience preferred.
To learn more about this opportunity or to apply visit: www.mercycare.org
Mercy Medical Center
701 10th St. SE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52403