Iowa City, IA
FULL-TIME DENTAL HYGIENIST - The University of Iowa's College of Dentistry is searching for a full-time Dental Hygienist to administrate an educational and service-oriented, dental hygiene healthcare program for the elderly and the medically-compromised adult, both in a clinic and alternative care setting; and to directly provide dental hygiene services for these participants as delegated by and under the surpervision of a licensed/permitted dentist.
* Perform oral prophylaxis for participants of the program, including through, root planing and polishing techniques and instruction in proper oral health care and diet.
* Coordinate schedules and act as program liaison with participating nursing homes/care facilities, departments, faculty, students, staff, support services, and participants.
* Develop, order, and deliver (or distribute) promotional program materials.
* May assign and supervise the work activities of other support staff.
* Investigate and order necessary equipment, materials and supplies for program operation.
* Oversee inventory and maintenance of equipment, materials and supplies.
* May develop, prepare, and monitor evaluation system for grading students.
* Plan and arrange for appropriate facilities and services in conjunction with the program's educational opportunities
* Write and distribute promotional articles for publication.
* Conduct educational programs to promote awareness of proper oral hygiene care.
* Assist in the evaluation of overall program effectiveness and impact.
* Make radiograph images as directed by supervising faculty.
* Perform other miscellaneous tasks as assigned by the dentist.
* Bachelor of Science degree with an emphasis in Dental Hygiene or equivalent is required.
* License to practice dental hygiene in the State of Iowa.
* Hygienists administering local anesthesia must hold a current local anesthesia permit issued by the State of Iowa.
* Hygienists administering nitrous oxide must meet educational criteria in accordance with the rules of the Iowa Board of Dental Examiners.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Experience working with medically, physically and/or intellectually compromised adults.
* Proficient working with electronic health records.
* Experience educating pre-doctoral and post-doctoral dental students regarding the dental hygienist's role in the dental healthcare team.
* Experience in the practice of Dental Hygiene under a Public Health Supervision Agreement for residents of Nursing Facilities, in Nursing Facilities.
* Knowledge of advances in the Dental Hygiene profession.
* Experience working independently and maintaining an effective oral hygiene recall program.
Salary: $58,756 to commensurate. For more information and to apply, go to: http://jobs.uiowa.edu, reference Req #69803. The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.